Handmade Jewelry for the Special Occasion

Thursday, October 4, 2012

DIY Christmas Gifts - Lego Crayons

With only 12 weeks to go for Christmas, we decided that it would be great to have some guest bloggers sharing their ideas for DIY gifts. Every week we will be sharing one new tutorial from an invited guest. Expect to see lots of wonderful ideas!

We’ll be starting with my favorite one. Our guest blogger is Danielle from 2 Little Super Heroes and she will explain us step by step how to make colorful Lego Crayons! How great is that! Just an awesome idea to have your kids help you making the Christmas gifts and also enjoying them during hours of playtime!

Here is Danielle's tutorial:

"I am beyond thrilled to be featured! Thanks so much for asking me Sandra! I have a ridiculously easy and inexpensive gift to share with you for the little LEGO lover in your life. Take a look at these LEGO crayons! What kid wouldn't love these?

 
Photo here

 I purchased these LEGO molds on Amazon for $18.99 (they qualify for the Free Super Saver Shipping). I plan on using these for lots of different projects so it was a bit of an investment. But I think well worth it. You get both the LEGO mini-figurines and the LEGO blocks. And they are so cute!

Photo here

I bought 3 boxes of crayons (48 in each box) from the dollar store. Being such cheap crayons I wasn't sure if they would work, but I'm happy to say they did.

We peeled and peeled and peeled. It took awhile but I wrangled my mother in-law and 4-year-old to help out. It was actually kind of fun.


Photo here

Once the crayons are peeled break them into about 4 pieces each. For the block LEGO mold I put in 2 full crayons into each mold. For the mini-figurine mold I put in 1.5 crayons into each little man. I found this was the perfect amount.

Lego Mold
Photo here

Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 350 F. Remove from the oven and cool on top of stove for about 10 minutes. Once cool enough to move place in the fridge to solidify. They easily slide out of the molds once they are fully hardened. We did have a few LEGO men lose their heads, but I just put the broken ones back in the molds and re-melted them back down.


Photo here

These would make an easy Christmas gift packaged with a LEGO coloring book. Or as a cute stocking stuffer.
You can find some of my other LEGO creations over at 2 Little Superheroes, I'd love for to stop by and say hi!"

Thanks so much Danielle for sharing this lovely idea! What a great way also to involve the kids in preparing some Christmas gifts. I bet they would have lots of fun making and using them.

A little bit about Danielle:
Danielle is the mom to two young boys and the wife to a not so handy hubby!  She  loves to sew, cook, craft, & decorate. Follow her along the way as she turns her house into a boy friendly home at 2 Little Superheroes, Facebook or Pinterest.
 

5 comments:

  1. If you soak Crayola crayons in water the wrappers will glossary right off after a few minutes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, I have these molds, because my kids are big Lego fans, but I never thought to use them for this.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails